COMPASS FAMILY SERVICES - JOB DESCRIPTION
Center Director, Compass Children's Center
$75,000 - $87,000 annually
Full time, Monday - Friday
Organizational Core Competencies
Accountable I Adaptable I Client-centered I Collaborative I Committed to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging I Resourceful
Compass Children’s Center is a nationally accredited enriched early childhood education center with a curriculum tailored to meet the specific needs of children living in extreme poverty and homelessness. The Center serves 70 children, ages 0-5, and their families each day, and addresses the social, emotional, cognitive, and physical development of the children as well as the well-being of the families.
The Director is responsible for ensuring the health, safety, and quality of education and care of all children at Compass Children’s Center. The Director is accountable for overall operational management in accordance with well-established guidelines, including curriculum development, staff and facilities management, the provision of social services, and long-range planning. The Director ensures that the needs of the children and families and the goals of the center are met appropriately.
Program Development and Oversight
● Establish a vision for quality for the center. Engage in vigilant pursuit of the highest quality program and practices.
● Develop educational curricula and collaborate with staff to develop positive learning activities.
● Ensure that the program adheres to NAEYC accreditation requirements and all applicable local, state, and federal regulations.
● Prepare and submit reports and documentation for government and community funders.
● Directly supervise the Assistant Program Director, Site Supervisors, and Clinical Coordinator, including hiring, training, professional development, and ongoing supervision and support.
● Oversee the continued implementation of the Pyramid Model of Teaching through building nurturing and responsive relationships with children, families, and fellow staff, and through the upkeep of a high quality, supportive environment.
● Oversee the program-wide implementation of anti-bias and anti-racist best practices.
● Create an atmosphere of teamwork and continual learning that facilitates cooperation and communication between staff members.
Community Outreach/Program and Agency Representation
● Represent the agency and program in the early childhood education community.
● Represent the agency and program to regulatory agencies, social service agencies and funding sources.
● Represent the agency and program in advocacy efforts within the childcare field on a city and state-wide level.
● Establish positive and productive relationships with families.
● Oversee the delivery of on-site social services and mental health services.
● Work collaboratively with other Compass programs to ensure strong integration and communication.
● Develop positive working relationships with outside agency staff that provide services on site.
● Coordinate and orient staff, volunteers, and consultants.
● Model appropriate behavior to children, families, and staff.
● BA or MA in Early Childhood Education/Special Education or related field required.
● Program Director Permit and 6 units of infant-toddler ECE (or eligible for program director permit) required.
● Five or more years of experience supervising staff.
● Spanish fluency strongly desired.
● Knowledge of requirements for Title 5 and Title 22 regulations; knowledge of NAEYC requirements a plus.
● Strong understanding of the dynamics of family homelessness and the needs of families living in poverty and crisis.
● Deep commitment to and demonstrated success discussing, integrating, and promoting diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging throughout a complex and dynamic organization.
● CPR and First Aid Certificate and Infectious Disease Prevention-trained.
● Health screening, TB and fingerprint clearance (Department of Justice, FBI, Child Abuse Index) required before start date.
Compass Family Services offers a competitive wage and benefits package that includes employer-paid medical, dental and vision coverage, long term disability insurance, and employer contributions to a retirement account. Employees receive approximately 4 weeks of paid vacation their first year, increasing to approximately 5 weeks in each year after, as well as generous paid sick and holiday leave.
Starting on July 1, Compass Children’s Center will be operating fully on-site, and the Director will work on site most or all the time. We have a range of protocols in place to ensure staff, child, and family safety, including mandated face coverings, enhanced air filtration, and screening of parents and children before entering the building.
Please send a detailed cover letter and resume to HR@compass-sf.org. Resumes sent without cover letters will not be considered. No phone calls please. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are an equal opportunity employer and actively seek to recruit a diverse workforce. Employees must embrace the idea that Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging contribute to the success of our underserved communities, and therefore to shared prosperity in our city and region. Compass Family Services is committed to the continuous work of implementing specific actions that will disrupt systemic prejudice and improve equity across programs and departments, to become an example to partners who also believe in a culture of inclusion that leverages diversity.