COMPASS FAMILY SERVICES - JOB DESCRIPTION
Housing Navigation Case Manager
Assistant Program Director, Compass SF HOME
Full time (37.5 hours/week)
Organizational Core Competencies
Accountable I Adaptable I Client-centered I Collaborative I Committed to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging I Resourceful
Compass SF HOME helps homeless and at risk families find, stabilize, and maintain their housing. Depending on their need, families may receive one-time assistance to prevent eviction or cover move in costs, and/or an ongoing rental subsidy. All families in the program are provided with long-term case management to support them in becoming economically self sufficient and maintaining their housing.
The Housing Navigation Case Manager will provide intake, housing navigation and placement assistance to help homeless families find a place to live. This includes ensuring families are eligible for the program, helping families find an apartment to rent, and assisting with all steps of the lease-up process.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Develop positive relationships with families that foster connection, support, and trust.
• Help families find housing, including coaching through the search process, accompanying to open houses, and speaking with landlords on their behalf.
• Create and maintain relationships with landlords and act as a liaison between the client and the landlord/property manager.
• Maintain contact with clients through frequent meetings, emails, and phone calls.
• Maintain up-to-date and thorough client files, both paper and electronic.
• Job is primarily during normal business hours, but occasional evening or weekend work may be needed to accommodate client schedules.
• Fluency in Spanish is preferred, but not required.
• Experience with housing navigation/housing search is highly preferred.
• Understanding of the issues low-income families and families experiencing homeless face.
• Strong sense of professionalism and advocacy for working with landlords and property managers
• Outstanding work habits: punctuality, communication, reliability, cooperation, professionalism. Ability to work independently and to juggle many responsibilities concurrently.
• Knowledge of social service resources in the Bay Area.
• Valid CA Driver’s license required, along with ability to be approved as a Zipcar driver (no significant negative incidents on driving record).
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging work.
Compass Family Services offers a competitive wage and benefits package that includes employer-paid medical, dental and vision coverage, long term disability insurance, and an employer-contributed retirement plan. Full time employees receive approximately 4 weeks of paid vacation their first year, increasing to approximately 5 weeks in each year after, as well as generous paid sick and holiday leave and paid time off for education.
Currently, this position is primarily remote. However, we anticipate moving to a mix of remote, on-site, and community work fairly soon. Compass has a wide range of precautions to keep staff and clients safe, including mandated face coverings, an increased cleaning schedule, and specific protocols around social distancing during interactions. In the long term, this will be a fully in-person position.
Please send a detailed cover letter and resume to HR@compass-sf.org. Resumes sent without cover letters will not be considered. No phone calls please. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are an equal opportunity employer and actively seek to recruit a diverse workforce. Employees must embrace the idea that Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging contribute to the success of our underserved communities, and therefore to shared prosperity in our city and region. Compass Family Services is committed to the continuous work of implementing specific actions that will disrupt systemic prejudice and improve equity across programs and departments, to become an example to partners who also believe in a culture of inclusion that leverages diversity.