COMPASS FAMILY SERVICES - JOB DESCRIPTION
On-Call Substitute Teacher
Preschool Coordinator/Site Supervisor
Vary, as needed
Organizational Core Competencies
Accountable I Adaptable I Client-centered I Collaborative I Committed to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging I Resourceful
Compass Children’s Center is a nationally accredited enriched early childhood education center with a curriculum tailored to meet the specific needs of children living in extreme poverty and homelessness. The Center serves 70 children, ages 0-5, and their families each day, and addresses the social, emotional, cognitive, and physical development of the children, as well as the functioning and well-being of the families.
The On-Call Substitute Teacher provides support on a varying basis to the team at Compass Children's Center.
Specific responsibilities may include:
- Teach an infant/toddler or preschool class, maintaining supervision ratio at all times, when the teacher is on leave, if qualified with Associate Teacher or higher credential.
- Cover, as part of the team, classes when teacher is absent or in a meeting, if only qualified with Assistant Teacher credential.
- Become familiar with and follow classroom routine and schedule.
- Follow daily lesson plan as written by the teacher.
- Develop and maintain a positive working relationship with other staff.
- Help foster an environment that can meet children’s basic needs.
- Interact with children in a positive respectful manner.
- Engage in the continued implementation of the Pyramid Model of Teaching through building nurturing and responsive relationships with children, families and fellow staff and through the upkeep of a high quality, supportive environment.
- Coordinate/Assist with outside play, indoor activities, and afternoon transition periods.
- Prepare lunches for Infants, Toddlers and Preschoolers.
- Assist with feedings as needed.
- Assist with nap preparation i.e. putting out cots, changing diapers, rubbing backs.
- Assist children in bathroom/change diapers as needed.
- Clean the changing area and changing table.
- Remove and wash dishes, tables, chairs and sweep floors.
- Prepare afternoon snack.
- Assist with after nap activities, diapering, and dressing.
- Clean area and dishes after snack.
- Other tasks as assigned by Center Coordinator and/or Program Director.
- Possess at least 12 units of ECE. Commitment to continue education towards a full Teacher credential.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Physical clearance (including TB clearance) and fingerprint clearance.
- Flexible and open to feedback.
- Ability to work within a team setting.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging work.
Location & Covid Considerations
Compass Children’s Center is located at 144 Leavenworth Street in San Francisco, and is fully open for in-person learning. We have a range of protocols in place to ensure staff, child, and family safety, including mandated face coverings, enhanced air filtration, and screening of parents and children before entering the building.
Please send a detailed cover letter and resume to HR@compass-sf.org. Resumes sent without cover letters will not be considered. No phone calls please. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are an equal opportunity employer and actively seek to recruit a diverse workforce. Employees must embrace the idea that Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging contribute to the success of our underserved communities, and therefore to shared prosperity in our city and region. Compass Family Services is committed to the continuous work of implementing specific actions that will disrupt systemic prejudice and improve equity across programs and departments, to become an example to partners who also believe in a culture of inclusion that leverages diversity.