COMPASS FAMILY SERVICES - JOB DESCRIPTION
Residential Counselor / Case Manager: Compass Shelter
Assistant Program Director
$23-28 hourly ($46-55k annually)
Tuesday through Saturday with Sun/Mon off
Non-exempt, full time
Organizational Core Competencies
Accountable I Adaptable I Client-centered I Collaborative I Committed to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging I Resourceful
Compass Family Shelter provides homeless families with a safe, temporary place to stay. Intensive support services enable families to secure housing, improve their employment prospects, and address the underlying issues that contributed to their experiencing homelessness
● Provide case management services to caseload of up to 3 families: counseling, crisis intervention and assessment, housing search, referrals.
● In partnership with client families, create a service plan for shelter stay, prioritizing housing search and addressing barriers to stability and healthy functioning.
● Build supportive relationships with client families.
● Maintain up-to-date case files.
● Refer families to services provided by other Compass programs as well as to outside providers and resources.
● Provide informal counseling and peer support, conflict resolution, and crisis intervention to all families staying at shelter when needed.
● Work collaboratively with staff to resolve and report problems that arise.
● Support community with safety and cleanliness of common areas and community space.
● Ensure safety and parental supervision of children at all times.
● Provide program intakes and orientation to building.
● Monitor client families’ compliance with shelter and program rules, and administer warnings and denials of services if needed.
● Maintain database of resources to support staff with referrals and housing search.
● Experience working in a social services setting
● Two+ years of counseling experience, including crisis intervention
● Understanding of issues facing homeless families and knowledge of Bay Area social service and housing resources
● Understanding of trauma-informed care
● Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging work
● Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel). Experience with Salesforce is a plus!
Compass Family Services offers a competitive wage and benefits package that includes employer-paid medical, dental and vision coverage, long term disability insurance, life insurance, free financial counseling, and employer contributions to a retirement account. Full time employees receive approximately 4 weeks of paid vacation their first year, increasing to approximately 5 weeks in each year after, as well as generous paid sick and holiday leave and paid time off for education.
Location & Covid Considerations
The Residential Counselor / Case Manager will work primarily on site at our 626 Polk St. location. Compass has a wide range of precautions to keep staff and clients safe, including mandated face coverings, limited in-person interactions, social distancing, air filtration, daily self-screenings, and increased cleaning schedule. Compass also requires employees to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
Please apply by clicking the button below and filling out our online application. A cover letter is NOT required for this role, though you are welcome to include one, particularly if there is information that you would like us to know that is not covered in other parts of the online application. No phone calls, please.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are an equal opportunity employer and actively seek to recruit a diverse workforce. Employees must embrace the idea that Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging contribute to the success of our underserved communities, and therefore to shared prosperity in our city and region. Compass Family Services is committed to the continuous work of implementing specific actions that will disrupt systemic prejudice and improve equity across programs and departments, to become an example to partners who also believe in a culture of inclusion that leverages diversity.