How to Host a Toys or Books Drive
You can host a toys or books drive at your school, office or local community center to support families in need. We accept new and gently used toys and books.
How Do I Plan a Toys or Books Drive?
1. Before you host your toys or books drive, please contact our Volunteer and Community Resources Manager by filling out the form above to see if we have the capacity to accept toys/books.
2. Find a location to host your toy/book drive.
3. Choose a time frame. You can have a drive for as long as a few months to just a single day.
4. Create your drop-off bins by decorating large boxes or plastic bins.
5. Talk to your audience about Compass Family Services. You are fundraising for a great cause and you should let everyone know. Don’t forget to provide copies of our Compass-at-a-Glance fact sheets so others can learn more about Compass and how they can get involved!
How Long Should a Toys or Books Drive Last?
You can host a drive for as short as a single day or as long as a few months, and everything in-between.
Long Term Drives
If you are encouraging people to drop off over a long period of time, make sure your drop-off sites are located in secure locations, such as inside a school, business or office. That way, you can make sure that all the donated items will be safe until the final pick up date!
If you’re hosting a one-day drop-off event, pick an open and accessible area with lots of parking. Also keep in mind that holding the event in a busy location may attract shoppers who you can inspire to donate toys and/or books! Perhaps choose a public shopping center with a store that sells toys and books (e.g. Target) where people can pick up items to donate on their way out!
What Kind of Toys and Books are Acceptable?
Compass Family Services accepts toys and books in gently-used and in new condition. We cannot accept used stuffed animals.
How Do I Advertise my Toys or Books Drive?
Communication is key! Advertise your drive by email, text, or old-fashion paper. Don't forget to send out reminders a day or two before, and throughout the duration of the drive!
Post about your event on social media. We love seeing your posts! Tag and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!
Create signage! Get creative and use colored markers, sequins, glitter and more on printer paper and/or posterboard.
How Do I Drop-Off My Toys/Books Donations to Compass Family Services?
Once your Toys or Books Drive ends, contact our Volunteer and Community Resources Manager to schedule a drop-off at Compass Family Services.